"When our spelling is perfect, it's invisible. But when it's flawed, it prompts negative associations." - Marilyn vos Savant



Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Soft Cell - Say Hello, Wave Goodbye/My Observations on Soft Cell's Say Hello, Wave Goodbye music video


I love this video, definitely artsy all around. It reminds me of a lovely dream as well as a scene from a comic book story. Especially how it starts off with the animated rain and the setting of the video too. The slouching door and just the overly exaggerated style of lights and the acting is simply classic, the colours and lighting too gives it a soft calmly mood. (Similar to the comic book story idea Pet Shop Boys's Suburbia music video black and white scenes.) The whole part of Marc singing in a restaurant reminds me of how Neil is similarly singing in a restaurant scene in the video Jealousy. You can tell by Say Hello, Wave Goodbye was pure work of art as well, so many actors and some familiar faces like the dwarfs from the Sex dwarf videos. Marc's singing scene also gives that dreaming feel definitely after that line "Take a good look at my face, for the last time..." It has a similar feel to their other video Torch except Torch have more cool colours, while this video have mostly warm colours. Towards the end where Dave looks like he gets the girl (not really, he just leaves) and the scene where Dave and the woman are in a heart shape figure prove to me that's something you would see in a comic book. The Pink Flamingo sign from here also reminded me of the Piano Bar in Pet Shop Boys's West End Girls too. Again, I love this video, the acting, the set, and everything about it is just pure art! I believe this was the last Soft Cell song that hit the UK, it hit Number 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment