"When our spelling is perfect, it's invisible. But when it's flawed, it prompts negative associations." - Marilyn vos Savant



Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Soft Cell with Cindy Ecstasy - Memorabilia/My observations on Soft Cell's Memorabilia music video



I like the title of the song, it shows how an artists likes to collect things. In some of his interviews, Marc talks about collecting little objects and if I'm not mistaken, it is also in his autobiography as well, about collecting post cards with little animals, I need to read the book over again. This was another organic music video, because of its mini animation as well as clips of Marc Almond and Dave Ball, and having a female rapper name Cindy Ecstasy rapping throughout the song and in portions. I love her "So Call up Cindy Ecstasy, if you're looking for a memory" part I like the poor quality in it too, it reveals to me they were tampering with film and what not to be different and odd, which I love dearly about them. That's why I call them Organic. I remember Marc mentioned in a interview he stated "We didn't like how electronic music was being used and we like to inject our humanness into it" This was in 1983 I believe, its been a while. Well he explained the Soft Cell way of their videos. The title speaks for itself because these are clips of them either in Soft Cell or pre-Soft Cell using a montage of clips is like a collection of memorabilia and their holiday fun. The birds eye view of the city reminds me of Pet Shop Boys's West End Girls with the same birds eye view of a city.
My favorite bit is when Marc pop up like Cindy X in the part "So Call up Cindy Ecstasy, if you're looking for a memory"

No comments:

Post a Comment