"When our spelling is perfect, it's invisible. But when it's flawed, it prompts negative associations." - Marilyn vos Savant



Monday, October 24, 2011

Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls/My observation on Pet Shop Boys's West End Girls video



When I first saw it, it astounded me. I love the setting and location they used. You'd think since they dressed so well in that video, what would they be on the side of town for? Before I watched the Pop Art and listened to the Commentary, I picked up a few things: when Neil is singing and Chris is in the background scene, I thought about the "Farmer and his Wife" piece, then another where Neil is in front of the background, I noticed the lighting was in some form of an "!" or exclamation point or mark. When I heard the "PopArt" commentary, it concluded my observations accurately! The scenery of London, I totally where Neil said its a like a travel Catalogue of London. Something like that. I'm American even that wanted me to want to go over there. I also love how it starts too, the while clips of different things then you would see them, as the song was coming in time, the clips were going faster and it stopped on a East End Boy. The whole song is just purely art and astonishing. The whole behind the scenes on how the song came about just intrigued. From Grandmaster Flash's The Message to using a bear riff from Michael Jackson's Billie Jean and a poem and then the "Sometimes you're better off dead, there's a gun in your and and it's pointing at your head" bit from a movie. So it has art in all forms and shapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment