"When our spelling is perfect, it's invisible. But when it's flawed, it prompts negative associations." - Marilyn vos Savant



Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Soft Cell Monoculture/My Observations on Soft Cell's Monoculture music video



This video, it was something I never thought they would come up with. I think its their only video in the 2000's that they did, unless there's more I don't know about. Anyway, the video and the title convey its meaning quite well for artists who love being odd and strange. I like how it starts off with "Another day...." It reminds me of how artists put writings or quotes on other art-related styles. Then the video gets speed up giving the whole "All day, everyday scenario." Their manager is the manager of the burger place called "Cell Burger." Marc and Dave are supposedly are workers at the fast food place. I believe they are conveying how this is how life is: Monocultured. People want fastfood, people who work in fastfoods inject who knows what in their food. Dave plays this appalling worker that lacks cleanliness. (Dave Ball can be seen, but Stevo that's dressed up as a clown manager stops him after Dave dropped the burger). I think the clown thing was like a joke or spoof of McDonald's maybe? Then Marc holds a drink that have roach crawling off of it. It goes to show you, you really don't know what you're eating nowadays. The way Marc plays the irritated worked that can be seen in real life too. (The flash shots of burger, fries and soda bit reminds me of the flashing bit on Pet Shop Boys's Love Comes Quickly music video.Like I said, I never though they would come up with something like this. It's pure genius. Sometimes I wonder in their little art world sometimes. I forgot to mention my favourite lyric lines is "Over and over and over, again and again and again, Monoculture" and "Same, Ordinary, Boring."

No comments:

Post a Comment