"When our spelling is perfect, it's invisible. But when it's flawed, it prompts negative associations." - Marilyn vos Savant



Sunday, May 20, 2012

A tribute/anniversary post

 A Tribute post

This past week some tragic events happened in music history and also anniversaries.  
I thought I give my respects to these artists because they made an impact on my life and several others and some I got to test out music wise thanks to friends. Also I know a couple of these artists have a relation to the artists I post about.  All facts came from Wikipedia and book references. Rest in Peace!!! 
<< Summer appearance from the show Family Matters.

A tragic week in the Disco era! 

LaDonna Adrian Gaines (December 31, 1948 – May 17, 2012), known by the stage name Donna Summer, was an American singer-songwriter who gained prominence during the Disco era of the late 1970s. Also known as the Queen of Disco.
I also remember her as Aunt Oona from Altoona on the sitcom Family Matters.
I was personally shocked about her death because I didn’t know she had cancer! It goes to show that your days aren’t promised.
I know Marc Almond was really sad according to his twitter updates saying a piece of him died. He also collaborated with The Bronski Beat covering her song “I Feel Love” that was submerged with John Leyton’s  “Johnny Remember Me”.(the link is down below) 
I heard that “This Time I Know it’s For Real” was Chris Lowe's favorites.













Robin Hugh Gibb, (22 December 1949 - 20 May 2012) was a singer and songwriter. He is best known as a member of the Bee Gees, co-founded with his twin brother Maurice and older brother Barry. He had a brother, Andy Gibb, who was also a very popular singer.
Also on page 131 on the Best of Smash Hits book, you can see that Chris was a bit pissed that there wasn't any Bee Gees in KROQ, "Wot, no BeeGees! It's, um a tragedy." Ohhh but I think this is even more of a tragedy!
A friend told me that “Saturday Night Fever” was one of Chris Lowe’s favorites.
Talking about two Disco legends gone in the same week! 
I wonder what the Pet Shop Boys must be thinking right now as two Disco legends are gone. 











Chuck Brown (August 22, 1936 – May 16, 2012) was a guitarist and singer who is affectionately called "the Godfather of Go-go.
 
Mary Richardson Kennedy also passed away this week from committing suicide; she was Robert Kennedy Jr.'s second wife.




 Anniversaries
Ian Kevin Curtis (15 July 1956 - 18 May 1980) was an English musician, best known as the lead singer and lyricist of the post-punk band Joy Division/Warsaw.
Two friends told me about this band, they are indeed a fascination, I already knew about the Joy Division/New Order connection, I thought I took it upon myself to try this band out, still testing them out. 
I know this isn’t a person but this was an event that happened on the same day Ian Curtis committed suicide and it’s one of my favorite volcanoes: Mount St. Helens is most notorious for its catastrophic eruption on May 18, 1980, at 8:32 am, the deadliest and most economically destructive volcanic event in the history of the United States. Fifty-seven people were killed; 250 homes, 47 bridges, 15 miles (24 km) of railways, and 185 miles (298 km) of highway were destroyed. A massive debris avalanche triggered by an earthquake measuring 5.1 on the Richter scale, caused an eruption, reducing the elevation of the mountain's summit from 9,677 ft (2,950 m) to 8,365 ft (2,550 m) and replacing it with a 1 mile (1.6 km) wide horseshoe-shaped crater. The debris avalanche was up to 0.7 cubic miles (2.9 km3) in volume. The Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument was created to preserve the volcano and allow for its aftermath to be scientifically studied. This volcano is well known for its ash explosions and pyroclastic flows. The last time it erupted was on July 10, 2008 (which is also Neil Tennant’s birthday)

David Byrne from the Talking Heads also had a birthday on May 14, 2012, he’s still living of course.


James Maury "JimHenson (September 24, 1936 – May 16, 1990) was an American puppeteer, best known as the creator of The Muppets.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment