"When our spelling is perfect, it's invisible. But when it's flawed, it prompts negative associations." - Marilyn vos Savant



Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Marc Almond - A Lover Spurned/My observations on Marc Almond's A Lover Spurned music video


Since I am currently working on a few Soft Cell videos observations, I would like to start this one off about A Lover's Spurned. This video and title reminded me of Tainted Love or the spirit of it. Reason: A Lover's Spurned lyric line: I love you, God your fingers burned, similarly to Tainted Love's lyric line: I love though you hurt me so....See the similarities? I sure do. The video also gives me another Soft Cell touch the never left in this video: the comic book scene! Look how it starts off with a comic book touch. I mean the checkerboard and spotted backgrounds, I clearly see those in comics. How Marc portrays the lover that gets hurt but he was the one that cheated with woman that didn't really want him for his money and steals his life away. Like a gold digger perhaps? He slaps the woman he was in love or married to and she would take him back, it was like read my lips: motherf***er. Poor Marc. I love the costumes they wore: Marc wears a red and black striped suit in a room full of orange with yellow polka dots, where as his wife wears a red and black polka- dotted dress in a yellow with orange polka-dotted room. See how opposite of the design is? His wife on the video have that typical hairdo you would see in comics as well. The part where Marc is sitting in a chair(similar to how is sitting in Say Hello, Wave Goodbye) he's holding a glasses full with champagne, I love how the bubbles are coming of every which way and its shiny like the champagne in the glass. It gives me that feel where he's in a bigger champagne glass of that woman is torturing him or in this case the fingers burn. Lovely video I personally believe its worth watching, I'm telling that comic book style is pure gold!

No comments:

Post a Comment