"When our spelling is perfect, it's invisible. But when it's flawed, it prompts negative associations." - Marilyn vos Savant



Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Pet Shop Boys - Rent (live) 1991 [HD]


"Rent"

This is one of my least favourite songs by them, but the way they did the Liza Minnelli version of their song was pretty good and more dramatic with a dash of soul. It's almost something you see on Broadway acting. The "you dress me up, I'm your puppet" line cracked me up, well the way he says puppet it's like pupot or something and him and Chris saying it on the commentary is just hilarious. I gotten the Broadway feel because of the he's positioned and singing. There's a reason why they used this version, but I will let you guys figure it out, if you have the DVD. I think he was portraying the victim of someone using him for his money. I mean to me, it made sense because how Sylvia is still dressed up like that(glamorous). When she start singoing "Look at the two of us...." line, the tone of the song I started to like because its in a key minor I don't what key it is, but I love that key of any song. This matches it perfectly well, because she seems like she's the gold digger and took everything from him, In other words, loves him for his money. Pam's and Derek's chorus "oohs" really gives it that tense feel of the song, rather than the pop version. It's like how The Fray did the song "Heartless" and Kanye West as well, but the The Fray captured the song more because it's softer and the way it was done it more tense if you will, you can definitely feel how the person was hurt from a heartless woman, where as West's version was so pop-ish, I'm not saying it wasn't good, but the point wasn't conveyed as much as the The Fray's. Like this version of Rent same thing, I'm not knocking down Pet Shop Boys's version of the song, but Liza's version of a soft and slower makes it more sensual, sadistic and dramatic and it gives it more a dynamic feel, but that's just me. The way Sylvia sings it, she seems like she was the one that was using him for his money, and it seem if they were a fictional character couple, she probably did love him until it was more of the money especially how she sings "I love you, you pay my Rent." Her and the other singers really outdone themselves on the Liza version of Rent, especially the chorus. Sorry If I sound repetitive here, but it does bring out the song more especially the sensual, mellow, and dramatic.

No comments:

Post a Comment