"When our spelling is perfect, it's invisible. But when it's flawed, it prompts negative associations." - Marilyn vos Savant



Saturday, November 19, 2011

My discussion about Pet Shop Boys's Fundamental tour


This is a photo I found on the net, this is the front cover when you take the main one off. What's funny that you see three things on here! You don't see it? I'll show you,  There's three rows of squares, three is used as an exponent numerically, and there's another row of three in the title itself! Just thought I throw that out there!

This is my first concert art review which I am ecstatic about. I purchased Fundamental/Cubism about a week ago, it was like an early Christmas gift to myself as well as Literally. Anyway, I just finished watching it all the way and I simply gotten my money's worth on it!

What would Pablo Picasso, Les Demoiselles d' Avignon and Georges Braque have thought about Pet Shop Boys's style of Cubism in their concert?! Es Devlin's signature move must be the shapes of cubes, because she also did the Pandemonium Tour design which actually conveys more of the Cubism style in a way. What I love about the concert was that Cubism was more used as symbolism as well as artistically: the title of the cover have the exponent 3 which represents the cube or cubic root, how there were two other sets of Neil and Chris one pair were the back up singers and the other were the dancers, then of course the actual Neil and Chris there. The black Neil always cracks me up, I would think it would be a black Chris and a white Neil, but I guess Neil is black too in a way. I have a similar jacket that Chris and his two clones has on: the electric yellow one, I love the sparkly one the most! The whole theme with cubes and squares which really signify an update meaning of Cubism I think. I want to say that's three things that was represented in the concert, but it's four. The commentary is just hilarious, Neil and Chris are so silly on a commentary it's like almost their books are coming to life on the screen in audio form. The director of the concert: David Barnard can also be heard in the commentary. You can tell the fans from Mexico City, have a vibrant entertainment by the looks of it. I love the costumes, but my most favourite one is the captain attire because it is colourful and it reminds me of a youthful feel with the little colourful symbols and can also prove that even some people can be stylistically vivid and still can have fun with it. The dancers were fantastic! I love how Neil was speaking in Spanish and did it quite well. When they did "Dreaming of a Queen" that also prove that they wanted to reveal their piece of English culture to a Latin audience.


I also remembered the "West End Girls" bit from Dancing with the Stars, for them to do that kind of dancing and movement, must have taken a lot of practice! Sylvia can sing her ass off, pardon my francais, but I haven't seen her really sing like that except on a few concerts, I don't know if she struck a nerve or something, but she was outstanding! The back up singers as well, they definitely gotten into spirit and just enjoying themselves especially where Neil did the hand phone, that's what artists and people in general are suppose to do! Neil's hand over his heart is resurrected from the MCMLXXXIX tour, I think he also did it on the Pandemonium Tour. The silhouettes of them on the cubes and then having the back stage people moving and shifting them reminded me of the Rubix cube but in a different way, having words appear and what not and have different themes that match the singers and dancers. I was also laughing at the little chair because Neil said it was cheap and the legs kept falling apart. The colours and everything about it is simply wonderful, still artful even though it is quite different from their other tours which means that they love taking different approaches on different art which is one of the things that make them dynamic.The ending of the concert reminded me of the song "We're the Pet Shop Boys" when the singers were singing the titles of the songs. The dirty dancing bit shocked me a bit on the "So Hard" number. The front cover of the concert is a reflection of what you actually see, I have the one where Chris is glow and blurry looking, looks like an Apple photo effect, and looks like Chris is shape like a thumb going down, but this concert, but I give it two thumbs way up! If you don't have this concert, I suggest you get it!
 
I forgot to add that it includes a small documentary about Pet Shop Boys in Mexico and a photo gallery of the fans and stuff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment