"When our spelling is perfect, it's invisible. But when it's flawed, it prompts negative associations." - Marilyn vos Savant



Thursday, November 10, 2011

My thoughts about Pet Shop Boys's Battleship Potemkin







When someone sent me the audios of Battleship Potemkin, I was extremely excited to hear it because, If I thought The Most Incredible Thing was fantastic, then something they did previous must really sound phenomenal! "Comrades!" starts off with drums being banged and then come with this soft feel of being in the ocean where you see the open waters and sun towards the evening. Then it gets all digital on the second song "Men and Maggot", but the feel changed only a bit. Then I hear fast drums playing and sounds like trance mixed with some fast jazz maybe? Then you can tell they were playing random notes on there after that. Our Daily Bread was an intriguing because The Most Incredible Thing on track twelve, one of the Clocks songs, you would hear the Ten Commandments being spoken by some computerized man's voice, so that's a major similarity there. Then when I hear "Our Daily Bread", it sounds like it was influenced by some Asian sounds, even though this is this is the Lord's prayer they used a few lines from. "Drama in the Ha" sounds like some kind of multi -genre sound in one song, I can't even think of the genres at the moment. By the album colour, the red definitely this would have some tension in it. Digital and violins in a collision damn near other colours white and black title and name description represents the calmness of it, in my opinion. It definitely must have trance in this piece because the feel of being vertigo and hearing horns and violins was like a bonus. "Nyet" remind of something funny, I don't know what it means but sometimes it sounds like "Ah, shit" It cracks me up when I hear it. To the Shore reminds me a bit of their song "King of Rome" because it sounds like it's in the same mellow soft tune, minus the percussion sounds, it also sounds like a calm version of "To the Battleship"(which is one of my favourites). "Odessa" is like a continuation of Comrades, but it sounds so lovely and sad at the same time. Unlike The Most Incredible Thing, Neil Tennant's voice can be heard more than one song in this piece such as: "Our Daily Bread", "No Time For Tear"s, "After All( The Odessa Staircase)", and "Freedom." Some of the songs are repetitive but I think it's mostly continuations of the previous songs. My favourites: "No Time for Tears", "To the Battleship", "Night Falls", "Full Steam Ahead" and "Our Daily Bread." These have certain moods that truly depict the feel of tension as well as calmness more than others. "To the Battleship" sounded like a brief instrumental of "No Time for Tears", then it comes back a strong version and continuation of "To the Shore"; it would make sense because of the "To The" in the title. Then "To the Shore" goes back to the "No Time for Tears" instrumental bit, it sounds heavenly. "After All" reminded me of bits of "Please Stay" a song by Mekon featuring Marc Almond, its the "digital percussion type sound" that sounds quite similar. "Stormy Meetings" have a calm feel to it, which is ironic for the title. I would think it would have loud thumping like sounds to it. "Night Falls" and "Full Steam Ahead"  have this eerie type of feel that I adore, its like a posh version of Mannheim Steamrollers' Halloweens themes album. I just feel like it just so haunting, I can hear this playing of some off horror movie or show. "The Squadron" reminded me of a darker version of "All Over the World" is some odd way. I also love the indistinct voice in it. Then the tempo speeds up a bit then it sounds like a mix of a lot of their songs I can't explain properly. At two minutes and fifty seconds of it, it reminded me of the beats in "Vulnerable." Then finally, "Freedom" sounds like a final continuation of "No Time For Tears" but it ends with a soft bang if you will. All in All, this is another astonishing piece of work that the Pet Shop Boys did, its definitely worth listening too, I wish I was there when they did it live. There is some similarities to Battleship Potemkin and The Most Incredible Thing, I will discuss that more soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment