"When our spelling is perfect, it's invisible. But when it's flawed, it prompts negative associations." - Marilyn vos Savant



Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Pet Shop Boys - Liberation/my observations


When I first looked at this video, I thought about the Can You Forgive Her? music video because of the Orange and Blue colours and the cone like hats they wore. These colours along with a couple other colours seem to carry out in the their albums as well. I wonder if they know about blue and orange being colour opposite on the colour wheel. My guess would be a possible yes, since they reference innumerable art tactics on their videos. Moving along, the Liberation video threw me off! I was thinking something similar but not in this way. It fascinated me when they weren't really in the video. The spinning tops idea and the whole theme of some fictional world was a fantastic idea. Some of its colour scheme kind of reminded me a youthful feel. I do get a sense of liberation, but I don't it ties down the lyrics itself. The computer graphics was still developing back then, so I understand this is how it looks. I can't really describe it properly, but some of the scenes and it can be found on Catalogue, they remind me of an M.C. Escher style, because of the miniature optical illusion and the some of the lighting, especially the bluish green lightening and the monuments, I don't know know what they are. I think this video in my opinion, is kind of an continuation of where the Can You Forgive Her? music video left off, I mean there's so much similarities in colour and the cone hats and so on. I think if their characters as aliens in Can You Forgive Her?, then the Liberation video is like their world beyond the galaxies. Seeing Neil's face in the small gold bubble like objects, it shows that he is in spirit in the video. Where's Chris in spirit? Just teasing.

No comments:

Post a Comment