"When our spelling is perfect, it's invisible. But when it's flawed, it prompts negative associations." - Marilyn vos Savant



Friday, December 2, 2011

My art review/observations on Pet Shop Boys Special



 

A good friend of mine Clare told me about this book, I didn't know there were "unofficial" Pet Shop Boys books: this one and another one called Introspective that I was told. I gotten it because I wanted to buy something that would cheer me up after going to my grandfather's funeral and something to get for myself before the year is up. So Clare told me it was a good idea, she wasn't lying! It's a brilliant book to get, since I don't live in the United Kingdom, getting collections of British bands is quite difficult. I gotten mine copy from Amazon UK since Clare said that's the only way to get the book, and a lot of their products are quite cheaper than American products! it's a nightmare! I still feel sadden that I lost my grandfather too.

What I like about this book so far is that it's an "unofficial" book yet it was released, but it's out of print and there's only a few in the Amazon UK. The photos on there are some that are like during the early to mid 80's. There's a quiz, little facts, horoscopes of Neil and Chris, it's almost like a magazine like book for teenage girls and possibly boys! For a book to be old like this, my copy is in perfect condition, the pages look vintage, which I personally like! It's slightly taller than Annually on image size. Since it was published in 1988, to me compare to Annually, it's like part one of Annually and Annually is like the part two, because of the similarities: Special have a quiz and Annually have a crossword puzzle, they are about the same lengthen in pages to name a couple, oh they are also hardcover books too. Not to mention that it mentions "West End Girls", Annually didn't go much in depth with the song, except the promo photos, and mentions the Bobby O version,  but it does have info about "What Have I Done to Deserve This" and "It's a Sin" ( like in Annually). Special starts off in an introduction about them, then Beginnings to Pin Ups and so on, then you finally have the answers to the quiz. Nice images in good sizes, most I have seen already from different fan friends. Plus you have more quotes and lines by the musicians themselves they sound like best buddies and brothers as well and some things you never or almost wouldn't think they would say. The major difference between Special and Annually is that Special was written and researched by Robin Mackintosh and Annually was edited by PSB and Chris Heath (which also did Literally(the book)), Pet Shop Boys vs. America, and Catalogue(with Philip Hoare) and was also on the commentaries: PopArt and Performance). This book along with a few other ones aren't mentioned in Catalogue proves that it's unofficial. Art wise: Special seems more excited and more vivid than Annually. It make sense in a way, that it could represent as a reflection of how they felt and plus the photos go hand in hand, even though they aren't connected, but they sure seem like they can be. I personally think this is perfect choice of getting something rare and out of print only if you are not from the United Kingdom(which is so easier to get than living somewhere else, including America!). I would highly recommend to get a copy before they disappear or fans already gotten their copy already. I may tweak this post on account of looking more deeper into the book soon and I will continue with the Performance posts as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment