"When our spelling is perfect, it's invisible. But when it's flawed, it prompts negative associations." - Marilyn vos Savant



Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The Nation/World say goodbye to another legendary icon.:Don Cornelius







 

  I wouldn't call this a favorite art moment, because of his untimely death/suicide, but the good part Don Cornelius opened doors for several African Americans musicians, dancers, and among others that were non-African Americans such as David Bowie, Elton John, Pet Shop Boys, etc. When I was waking up, I heard this devastating news and was really nervous of telling her about this! My family group up watching Soul Train even meeting and went to school with some of the dancers of the show. I know another icon passed on last week, Etta James aka The Matriarch of R&B, singing music genres such as blues to jazz, also known for the songs "Dance With Me, Henry" , "At Last", "Tell Mama" and I'd Rather Go Blind." I was in complete shocked and now when I heard Don Cornelius shot himself to the head, it really stunned me a new one! I thought I post about this, before I start school next week.  All sources of my info include Wikipedia, and various websites.

"Don Cornelius also born as Donald Cortez "Don" Cornelius was born in Chicago on September 27, 1936. While in high school, he was in service as a Marine in Korea, then in 1966, he gotten a job as an announcer, news reporter and disc jockey on Chicago radio station WVON. Then part of the mid 1960's, moved to Los Angeles to began the stardom of the national show Soul Train. I personally would call it the African American version of Top of the Pops. Where the show he hosted from 1971-1993 then sold the show to MadVision Entertainment in 2008. I think his son did the show after 1993, because when I was younger, around the 2000s, I did see the newer artists on there performing on the show like T-Pain, Ciara, Ne-Yo, etc. (wikipedia)
" ' Originally a journalist inspired by the civil rights movement, Cornelius recognized that in the late 1960s there was no television venue in the United States for soul music, and introduced many African-American musicians to a larger audience as a result of their appearances on Soul Train, a program that was both influential among African-Americans and popular with a wider audience.[4] As writer, producer, and host of Soul Train, Cornelius was instrumental in offering wider exposure to black musicians such as James Brown, Aretha Franklin, and Michael Jackson, as well as creating opportunities for talented dancers that would presage subsequent television dance programs.[5] Cornelius said "We had a show that kids gravitated to," and Spike Lee described the program as an "urban music time capsule.  ' "[5] (wikipedia)

" ' Besides his smooth and deep voice, Cornelius was best known for the catchphrase that he used to close the show: "... and you can bet your last money, it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey! I'm Don Cornelius, and as always in parting, we wish you love, peace and soul!" After Cornelius's departure, it was shortened to "...and as always, we wish you love, peace and soul!" and was used through the most recent new episodes in 2006. Another introductory phrase he often used was: "We got another sound comin' out of Philly that's a sure 'nough dilly ' ". (wikipedia)
" 'On October 17, 2008, Cornelius was arrested at his Los Angeles home on Mulholland Drive on a felony domestic violence charge.[6] He was released on bail. Cornelius appeared in court on November 14, 2008 and was charged with spousal abuse and dissuading a witness from filing a police report. Cornelius appeared in court again on December 4, 2008, and pleaded not guilty to spousal abuse and was banned from going anywhere near his estranged wife, Russian model Victoria Avila-Cornelius (Viktoria Chapman), who had filed two restraining orders against him. On March 19, 2009 he changed his plea to no contest and was placed on 36 months probation.[7]' " (wikipedia)

" ' Officers responding to a report of a shooting found Cornelius at his Mulholland Drive home about 4 a.m. on February 1, 2012, police said. Cornelius is reported to have suffered a self-inflicted gunshot to the head. He was declared dead at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, said Los Angeles County Assistant Chief Coroner Ed Winter. ' " (wikipedia)

" 'Shemar Moore, one of the former hosts of Soul Train, said prior to his former boss's death, Cornelius might have suffered from dementia: "I don't know what his health was like. I had heard rumors that it was early [onset] dementia, Alzheimer's, things like that." Moore added, "I'd heard that he was sick," he continues. "If he did line all his ducks up, so to speak, if he did deal with all his personal things to have this departure, then I tip my cap to him because that's a show of love -- I'm going to love the people around me, I'm going to give you all I've got -- and maybe he felt like he was tapped out, you know? And he, for himself, felt he needed to take care of himself in his way." Then he said, "I hope that wherever he is now, he's at peace," adds Shemar. "I don't know how he got to this place. I don't know what made him take his own life this morning. But after we shed our tears, after we say our prayers, after we put him to rest in our own ways, I hope there's a lot of celebration.' "(wikipedia) 
He was 75 years old, at that age, he probably had it all and it might have gotten the best of him, where ever his spirit is, I hope he's well. I'm still not over this! Someone actually uploaded the video where you see The Pet Shop Boys on Soul Train performing "Opportunities" !! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPmEQWDcYT8&feature=youtube_gdata_player I'll edit this later so the actual video is here.






No comments:

Post a Comment