"When our spelling is perfect, it's invisible. But when it's flawed, it prompts negative associations." - Marilyn vos Savant



Thursday, February 2, 2012

Another similar art relation










 
 
 


   After watching Life in Pop, I thought about the bits of theirs'/Jonathan Harvey's musical called Closer to Heaven; after reading Catalogue as well, the costumes from the musical reminded me of another piece called Party Monster or also known as Disco Bloodbath by James St. James. I remember watching Party Monster the first time, and couldn't understand it; didn't even know what it was called at the time either. Well I guess I saw it half way, but after watching again and again, I really appreciate the movie and its biographical tale. It is quite sad and it was something I didn't expect Macaulay Culkin and Seth Green would do, but they portrayed James St. James and Michael Alig very well. What I'm trying to really point out, is that the costumes that was worn in Closer to Heaven kind of reminded me of the Club Kids' of New York style from the movie. Although the two tales are very different and have nothing to do with each other, but they do have a small similarity and it have to do with drug related purposes. Closer to Heaven focused on hedonism, drugs and sexual passion more theatrical. While Party Monster was more of a biographical crime drama that focus on drug addiction and the party scene. Plus Disco Bloodbath: A Fabulous but True Tale of Murder in Clubland was published on August 11, 1999 and Closer to Heaven (based on Catalogue) the dates are from 15 May- 13 October 2001 and cast recording on October 6, 2001. What's slightly ironic of it, is that the movie did play Pet Shop Boys' "It's a Sin" wikipedia doesn't mention it but if you search on other sites it will mention it, and I heard it on there and disco was a big party of the Club Kid movement too I believe. It's been on my mind so I thought I post about it. On the album cover of the CD of Closer to Heaven, I read that the heart "echoes the characters' emotional journeys" I thought it was a fancy way of symbolism.

No comments:

Post a Comment