"When our spelling is perfect, it's invisible. But when it's flawed, it prompts negative associations." - Marilyn vos Savant



Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Soft Cell - Torch music video art review.

 
 Sorry I can't find the video on YouTube and the one I found, the link is being slow so I apologize for that, so instead, I have photos of the music video, I found on the internet.
\
http://www.universalmusic.fr/soft-cell/video-clip/soft-cell-torch-video/
 here's one link you can copy and paste to see if you haven't already or if you have Non - Stop Exotic Video Show, even better!

Soft Cell - "Torch"

This piece starts off with Huw Feather the artist that did the Soft Cell singles artwork, you see him sped up quickly drawing Cindy X from the music video "Torch" and this is also seen as the "Torch" single album art. This song reached number 2 in the UK. I prefer the extended version of this song you'll hear Marc and Cindy talking and then later singing together in harmony. Then now when he completes the drawing of Cindy, you'll see Dave Ball on a trumpet. I forgot who's the real trumpeter for this song, my memory will come back soon. Then you see Marc moving and snapping his fingers and start singing. I like how his attire don't really match anything but it's art within art, because It seems that it gives off a 40's - 50's dreamland but in color, I'll explain why when the bit comes. I do like how Marc's sweater matches the colors of the lighting. You Cindy as a female singer and have a microphone/stand that would see definitely back in the day. I notice Marc looks like he's wearing some eye lashes, I don't think his eye lashes are that long, and you see Dave moving the stage light and you see in glimpse of Marc's face. Notice how Marc's sweater says "Wine" and you see glasses of wine as well, as you see him walking down the stairs, you see how the floating wine and music notes and I think pamphlets, I like that, very symmetrical. I guess the title have to do with the female singer since she's a torch singer in this piece. You know how you can see the stands where the floating notes and glasses and pamphlets are and then they are continued on the wall in a painted fashion, it almost look blended in which is magnificent, that's why I call it a dreamland. Then there's a pathway or trail as well. I also see how Marc's sweater changes from wine to just different eyes, he usually wear eyes on shirts, and I think he also said the best features are eyes because you tell a person by their eyes; I think Neil Tennant is the same with eyes, oh another similarity!. I think the eyes in this case have to do with the lyric line " See her eyes, they are bright tonight," and other bits of the song with "I" or "see." As the camera goes back some, you'll see Cindy in an indigo, sparkly dress, with gloves and fur like things on her shoulder and standing still I'm guessing that's a wig she's wearing, I don't know if she had hair or not. Then you see Marc approaching her and then singing in front of her. You see how that microphone looks? I never seen one like that but in the 40's-50's music videos or live performances, I see microphones like that. I just love the color scheme of this whole video: cool colors. Then you have a nice angle view of Marc, Cindy, and Dave Ball. Then you see Cindy singing the lyrics on what Marc said but since she's the one he's talking about, it was changed a bit to signify her and she's holding a dove. I don't know what the dove represents, but I guess that's surreal in a way. When you see her again, that black hair or hat has gone, so I really wonder if she was really bald or was that some stocking to cover it up. Since they love Northern Soul, it made sense on this particular music video.I love how Marc and Cindy sing together here and then more doves approach her. Then you see Marc with one then he kisses it and let it go and the camera is zoomed to Dave's trumpet and you see Cindy there, very interesting. Oh by the way, "Torch" was actually a Marc and the Mambas's song but was released by Soft Cell. I guess, since Soft Cell was more established than Marc and the Mambas, that's probably that reason. I think there's another song that were released by Soft Cell but was originally by Marc and the Mambas but I'm not sure, I think "Fun City" is another, I'm still learning about Soft Cell and Marc's other group.


No comments:

Post a Comment