"When our spelling is perfect, it's invisible. But when it's flawed, it prompts negative associations." - Marilyn vos Savant



Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls (live) 1991 [HD]



"West End Girls"

Now this here is pure acting at it's best here! It's very comedic and how it starts off music wise sounded like animated car horns or an animated version of "West End Girls" You have some dark red lighting almost like the street lights at night, and they were positioned too reminded me immediately of Los Angeles. You have Chris throwing a chair on the stage which as indicate he's drunk, also notice how he's wearing some of his clothes from the previous number. I like how he really look like an actual drunk, almost mistaken by an actor really. I also notice the dancers from the last number also are wearing the same thing, I like how they approach Chris with the chairs, it seems like they are turning their backs on him in a way and since he's used up, no one wants him. He's reading a magazine which Chris points out he's reading again, I thought that was funny. One of the dancers gave him a bottle of sherry wine. It's usually alcohol or beer mainly but seeing wine was very interesting and very proper I think, Because over here, it would be cheap liquor. If this is the same sherry glass or wine, I know Marc Almond and I think Dave Ball love sherry too, I remember watching Non Stop Exotic Video Show and you see them drinking sherry. Wine I would expect like a drunk couple or something but this was even funnier. Neil looks to be like a report revealing what's going on stage basically or commenting on the action. When Neil mentioned "like a Greek chorus," it reminded me when I had to do an English report to do with tragedy and one of them I did was Oedipus Rex and one of the vocabulary words were Greek chorus, If I'm not mistaken based on my memory a Greek chorus were like revealing what is going on in tragedies like angels or something in the midst, so that was a good comparison there what he said. I find it funny, I haven't read Greek tragedies since high school. Anyway, you see Chris trying to pick up a fight with one of the dancers and then you see the female dancers walking around the male dancers like some prostitute or hooker and they get paid. Now this is definitely signify "West End Girls" in this scene and the lyrics as well. Especially adding the 10" mix lyrics which I also like and wish they sing that bit more often. I like this version of "West End Girls" and MCMLXXXIX version of "West End Girls" because something about them is very soulful. Usually when a female get paid they show off in public like nothing never happened and then behind closed doors is a different story. Now you see one where is trying to allure Chris up out of the chair they dance and then usually how those end is when the drunk person gets horny or turned on and they puff them off because they have to keep up appearances of course. I like the background it looks like a building and the way it looks with the small lights very animated. Then you see the female dancer looking like "you must be joking" and Chris is like "whatever" movement wise. Then you see another dancer appears to be "easy" or "fast" because she would be with anyone kind of person. Then you have another one sitting in a chair near Neil and smothering herself with the money she collected. They mentioned about how Chris is wearing his socks and Chris Heath pointed that you never really leave school. I have to agree even when you think about it, actors, dancers, etc. are the "students" and the high rank authorities are like the "teachers" only difference is that you are making profit rather than just being a student. So the scenario of school never really leaves with life, so that was a very good symbolism even if it was usage of Chris' socks. The same dancer with the money she's seducing another prey with her body and so on and I think the others will follow. Then you have Sylvia with the mink or fur with her green dress, I have to say that really fits well with her, I would think that she portrayed one of those women that succeeded in taking money from people. Chris really looks like he's out of it on that bit too, quite believing! Chris also pointed out where the streets have no name right after Neil stated "Watch them play a different game where no one knows your name.." It does have some kind of connection the previous song but negatively. The way Sylvia, Pam, and Derek are around Chris makes it seem that they are his last hopes of living, where Neil's character could have helped Chris' character but I guess not and just getting at Chris. Then you have the "easy" dancer she plops on Chris and then moves away and then Chris looks turned on again and comes after her. I think they are called floozy I think, and then she lets him try her and then gets rejected so much that he fell. That fall was exaggerated and silly at the same time, It's actually something I would do in a drama class. She now takes his newspaper, I have no idea why, maybe pretending it's money I guess and then drops it all over the place. Now you see the dancers doing what they do best keeping up appearances so no one would see how they really are. Then you see Chris picking them up and you know he was quite angry enough to go on a rampage: he balled up the papers and through the wine bottle and lifted up the chair too! I wonder why there was no shatter noises of the glass, it would be funny if they had it, but where did it go? If it did smash, then how in the world they didn't get cut on their feet knowing shards of glass would be there is simply amazing. Now you see Chris just kicking and boy he's mad, They should do some more acting! I think the dancers are now used up Chris and soaked up what's left of him and left him for dead really. It was like they were good before and then now it's like they never exist. I feel for Chris' character in some cases, where I too, feel like that at the moment by some people. That lyric line "Watch them play a different game, where no one knows your name" goes quite well in this scene. Because they pretend not to know Chris at all and they are continuing having a ball and he's pretty much left to die. Now I have a solution of the fake throwing up or puke or barfing. Instead of using the vegetable soup trick that Neil points out which isn't a bad idea but cleaning it up would be another task. If they had rubber or fake vomit, which I see in joke store or stores that sell prank merchandising, that rubber or plastic throw up would be helpful for Chris' barfing, and they have to do is pick it up and that's it. No cleaning involved. Real vomit, I wouldn't suggest, it would work wonders but the stench would be too great and people probably have sensitive noses or would get dizzy or irritable with the smell. And now you see the dancers pointing fingers at Chris which mean that "we don't need you anymore, you're a has been" type of thing. Even one of them came back to Chris but only to insult him and laughed and walked away. It's tragic but that's how that type of life is, so don't be the prey and you have Chris continuing to barf. I like one of the bits where Scott Davidson and JJ Belle can be scene for a brief moment to let them know who's playing behind there. I personally love the song, and the video but this portrayal of "West End Girls" really signify the song I believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment