"When our spelling is perfect, it's invisible. But when it's flawed, it prompts negative associations." - Marilyn vos Savant



Monday, December 5, 2011

Similarities in album covers

After receiving the Ultimate Deluxe from Lizzy, Thanks again, I noticed a pattern in similarities of the following album art: Yes, The Pandemonium Tour CD + DVD, and Ultimate. What do they have in common? Squares, cubes, and color scheme. In the following I will examine and explain the best way I can about the similarities in these three album art.




 
















I thought about looking at the Yes album art, it looked like the early stage of the cube style, because they the check symbol is using squares not cubes. Then looking at the Pandemonium album art, the are mix with cubes and squares forming a "P"and then I noticed the Ultimate colors are using the same or almost the same color scheme of warm and cool colors of the spectrum. Which makes me wonder did Es Devlin came up with the idea or was it Neil and Chris that did, I do know Devlin did the design for the Pandemonium tour and the Cubism tour. Now for the Take That tour, I did see some cubes there too, but I don't know if that's the same props but formed differently. I personally think she came up with the idea but that's what I think. I wonder if that is really her signature move with square and cubes. Both Yes and Ultimate are in a white background with something occupying the space, Yes Etc and the Pandemonium CD + DVD album art are similar except Pandemonium's is more of a black to gray almost a greyscale if you will. I also even noticed that Performance is similar to Ultimate because the image of the silhouettes are cut out and you can see the inverse of them and even on the Together single as well. The strips of warm and cool colors reminded me of my painting class when I have to paint out strips of the color from dark blue to a medium green and then from red to orange, and so on. I notice even the silhouettes of Neil and Chris in Ultimate have the same colors hue the feathers on their hats and then them as well but you can barely see it, you have to look closer at the images to get my meaning. The colors could represent how they feel too like the cooler colors on Neil's silhouette could depict he's sad, or his favorite color is blue as well, calm and secretive or something like that and Chris's silhouette with the warm colors with the hue of bluish purple/ violet, could mean he's energetic and have a soft spot and can be secretive.  That's the beauty of art and color, it can make you wonder a lot. I also noticed that my blog color scheme is similar as well.  I will blog about Ultimate very soon and continue with Performance by the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment