"When our spelling is perfect, it's invisible. But when it's flawed, it prompts negative associations." - Marilyn vos Savant



Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Pet Shop Boys Life in Pop DVD review

Pet Shop Boys' Life in Pop is a basically a visualized biography/autobiography/documentary about the life and continuing legacy of the Pet Shop Boys. It's about two hours of jaw dropping, fascinating information about the boys, plus other artist's and colleagues'/associations' views on the Boys themselves which include Brandon Flowers, Robbie Williams, Peter  Robinson, Tim Rice-Oxley, West End Girls, Jake Shears, Bruce Weber, David, Trevor Horn, Tony Wadsworth, Richard Blade, David Walliams, Matt Lucas, Pete Gleadall, Dr. Wayne Studer, Derek Jarman (pre - filmed), Liza Minnelli (1989),  and Frances Barber. It also consist of clips from their concerts, music videos, multiple media footage used chronologically, not to mention if also have on location shots which I personally like, especially reminiscing about. The one of Blackpool definitely reminded me of some footage Soft Cell  did on something called BBC Young Guns: Go For It. Something like that and it was about Soft Cell, so the location looked familiar because Dave Ball of Soft Cell is from Blackpool as well. It was originally broadcasted on Channel 4 in May 2006 but have an extended version that is on the DVD. It was directed by George Scott, this can be appealed to any audience because it's artsy, in depth information and it's very intriguing, for example, I didn't know Neil dyed his hair red to dress like David Bowie, I knew about the blonde hair thing thanks to Annually but the red thing had me baffled, or even Chris worked as a waiter or something. It's  like they can honestly relate to just about anyone that's seriously struggling. Even have well known performers and people, to take out time to speak on their behalf on the musicians is quite dynamic. It also include bonus material like music videos: "Miracles", "I'm With Stupid", "Minimal", and "Numb".
Their first ever televised appearance on Hits des Clubs. Namur, Belgium performing "West End Girls" and finally two BRIT Award sequences "What Have I Done to Deserve This? 1988 with Dusty Springfield and "Go West" 1994 with Welsh miners' choirs conducted by Richard Niles. This is a perfectly formatted DVD that would be considered highly suggested, if to do some research or wanting to learn what are the Boys really about, well one of them materials anyway. It's definitely worth it.
I even showed my mother the closing ceremonies footage few days ago and she was shocked that it was only two people in the band, she thought it like five people in the band because they are so powerful, she was blown away herself. I haven't showed her any concerts yet but she's definitely into the music so this band is a-okay in my book, even my mother's and that's her era really. I thought I throw that in there if I haven't already. 

No comments:

Post a Comment