"When our spelling is perfect, it's invisible. But when it's flawed, it prompts negative associations." - Marilyn vos Savant



Thursday, July 26, 2012

Pet Shop Boys - A Man Could Get Arrested (Original 7-inch Version) post




“A Man Could Get Arrested” is one of my favorite B-sides and funnily it’s the B-side to “West End Girls” The first time I heard this song, was when a fan was sending me songs since at the time I couldn’t afford to get CDs and things, but for the longest time, I never knew what the track was it didn’t have names. And them I was searching on YouTube on what the track was and finally found it. Out of all the versions of this particular track, I really love the 7’’ version. Ironically the 7’’ is longer than of the two versions.  And based on reading the sleeve notes from the Further Listening to Please, Chris pointed out the 7’’ has real drums, real bass and real brass section and Neil said the bass player of the Status Quo plays on the track. I didn’t even know that! I thought it was funny Chris said it sounded like a rip off of Shannon, because it does have that freestyle vibe. The 12’’ version is Bobby O’s version yet he didn’t finish it, but the Pet Shop Boys did.  What I really like is the lyrics behind it all. Based on Bobby O’s approach to life, sex frustration and Chris pointed out Neil nearly gotten arrested. It was also the first time they met Peter Andreas, according to Alternative. It’s a real eighties pop production by Steve Spiro. I honestly didn’t see the sex frustration until reading it, I actually thought it was a strong message meaning if you want to do something, do it now! Even the 7’’ version have female voices doing the chorus, it almost sound like it could be a soundtrack to a movie or something or at least a theme for a cartoon show.  They spent a week doing the 7’’ version, which is quite impressive! The title always reminded me about Soft Cell’s A Man Could Get Lost, which is about a man exploring the nightlife and having so much fun, he probably would get lost. I know the songs have two different meanings but the whole “A Man Could Get” line of the title sounds so similar it’s pretty funny, I think. I’m actually quite shocked it’s a B-side! A Man Could Get Arrested could have been an A-side but then that’s a lot of their B-sides and then vice versa. I do have the 12’’ vinyl of “West End Girls” with the 12inch B-side of the song, but I prefer the 7'', I also forgot to mention there's a female backing vocals her name is Margot Buchanan, but it seem she was uncredited somehow. I can't find her on the net, or tell if it's the right person, but I found her name on a site on where it tells you where the backing vocals of their songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment