"When our spelling is perfect, it's invisible. But when it's flawed, it prompts negative associations." - Marilyn vos Savant



Thursday, July 26, 2012

The New Wave Encyclopedia

I'll post this on my other blog, because it is quite unique. I decided to blog a bit since I'll be heading somewhere on the weekend and probably won't have a decent connection. I'll be focusing on more scripting. With that being said, I cam across something really fantastic and it's also an early birthday gift to myself. It's basically a encyclopedia of New Wave. It's found out by a friend that it's a relatively a new book! Because I was showing her the book and I somehow convinced her to want to get this book. I want to make copies of the book and send it back but when I found there was more to be expected, I had to keep it. It's a really fascinating book full of surprises. It's vivid images and sections and gives brief information, photos, fun facts, and a lot more, of the new wave era of the 80's. It's by Daniel Bukszpan, and it has a foreword by Gerald Casale; and it goes in alphabetical order too They used a lot of facts from several sources you can tell. I almost gave me a vibe of Smash Hits in a strange way. One of the sections they had that struck me was The 1980s: The Decade in Gay, as you can see on the first photo below. It showed familiar artists on here and description are very neat for it to be quite a brief info. I couldn't believe to see a description of Marc Almond and Neil Tennant in the same page, almost like I did the birthday drawing with the same arrangements, only thing there's no photo of Marc Almond but it's alright, he's in the Soft Cell section of the book and of course Pet Shop Boys are in there too. What really found really awesome is that photos they used were good selections because of the band names and everything. When you get this book, you'll see what I mean; however, I'll give an example. In the Pet Shop Boys' section of the book, you'll see a photo of them actually looking like boys even though they are adults, and not using other photos that won't get the idea of their titled name. There's actually four descriptions of the artists in here: Marc Almond, Neil Tennant, Jimmy Somerville and Boy George. The next photo below this one is that you see Jon Cryer as Duckie Dale from John Hughes' movie Pretty in Pink, it's the males' fashion section, it was so strange because I took a vast fascination of his movies and you'll also see more about this movie and other brilliant movies by him and others. The movies like Pretty in Pink, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, Weird Science, to name a few along with many others, were very iconic movies and still rememberable even to this day because of the heart and realness the movies portrayed. This book honestly summed me up a real treat for me. I'm impressed the artists and bands, quite known and some I never heard of gotten a part of this book so when more generations to come, they will see how the 80's was a vibrant of both art and madness in it's decade with its own style. Like Ferris Bueller would say "It's so choice" this book is definitely choice for someone who love the new wave era and for it to be 304 pages of information and pictures, it's totally worth it! I would tell what's more in the book but I don't want to spoil it for future buyers!
                                                                                             
(here's two more photos)




No comments:

Post a Comment